Are you looking for the best gloves to protect your hands from harsh chemicals? If so, you’ve come to the right place! In this post, we’ll compare different types of chemical-resistant gloves, so you can choose the right ones for your needs.
Chemical resistant gloves – an overview
There are many different types of gloves on the market that provide different levels of protection from chemicals. It is important to choose the right glove for the job to ensure both safety and comfort. There are several types of gloves that offer different levels of resistance to chemicals:
- Natural rubber latex gloves are made from latex, a material that is naturally resistant to many chemicals. Natural rubber gloves are less expensive than butyl rubber gloves and more flexible, but they are not as durable.
- Latex gloves are available in both powder-free and powder-filled options. Powder-free latex gloves offer better protection against chemicals, but powder-filled latex gloves are often cheaper and easier to find. Latex gloves are made from natural products. They have good dexterity & are chemically resistant however some people have allergic reactions to Latex.
- Nitrile gloves are made from synthetic rubber that is resistant to a wide range of chemicals. Nitrile gloves are available in both powder-free and powder-filled options. Powder-free nitrile gloves offer better protection against chemicals, but powder-filled nitrile gloves are often cheaper and easier to find. Nitrile Gloves are less expensive than butyl rubber and neoprene gloves, but they are not as durable as either type of glove.
- Vinyl Gloves are made from synthetic plastic that is resistant to a limited range of chemicals. Vinyl gloves are only available in powder-free options. Powder-free vinyl gloves offer better protection against chemicals than powder-filled vinyl gloves. Vinyl Gloves are less expensive than nitrile gloves but not as durable. Vinyl Gloves do not provide as much dexterity as nitrile or latex Gloves.
- Butyl rubber gloves are the most resistant to chemicals, followed by natural rubber and neoprene gloves. Nitrile, vinyl, and latex gloves offer the least resistance. Butyl rubber gloves are made of synthetic rubber that offers superior resistance to chemicals, including acids and alkalis. Butyl rubber gloves are thicker than other types of chemical-resistant gloves, which makes them more durable but also less flexible.
- Neoprene gloves are made of synthetic rubber that is similar to natural rubber in terms of their chemical resistance. Neoprene gloves are more expensive than natural rubber gloves but less expensive than butyl rubber gloves. They are also more flexible than both natural rubber and butyl rubber gloves.
Natural rubber gloves
Natural rubber gloves are made from latex, which is a natural material that is derived from rubber trees. Latex is known for its excellent resistance to a variety of chemicals, including acids, bases, and organic solvents. Natural rubber gloves are also good electrical insulators and provide good grip in both dry and wet conditions. They are available in a range of sizes and thicknesses to suit different applications.
However, natural rubber gloves deteriorate quickly when exposed to sunlight, so they are not suitable for use in outdoor applications. In addition, latex allergies are relatively common, so people with latex allergies should avoid using natural rubber gloves.
Neoprene gloves are made of synthetic rubber that is resistant to many chemicals, oils, and solvents. They are also insulated, making them ideal for use in cold environments. However, neoprene gloves are not as flexible as other types of chemical-resistant gloves, and they can be more difficult to put on and take off.
Nitrile gloves are made out of synthetic rubber and are an ideal alternative when latex allergies are of concern. The synthetic rubber makes the gloves more durable, making them a good choice for longer-term wear. They have a loose fit and come in various colors for color-coding in a food service or medical setting. Nitrile gloves are also resistant to chemicals and punctures.
Butyl gloves are made of synthetic rubber that provides excellent resistance to a wide range of chemicals, including oils, acids, and alkalis. They are also impermeable to water, making them an excellent choice for use in wet or greasy environments.
Butyl gloves are available in both interlocking and rolled styles:
- Interlocking: Interlocking butyl gloves have a seamless construction that makes them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. They are also less likely to be ripped or torn than rolled gloves.
- Rolled: Rolled butyl gloves have a seam that runs along the length of the glove. These seams can make the gloves more difficult to put on and take off, but they may provide a better fit for some people.
Polyvinyl chloride gloves
PVC gloves are made of a substance called polyvinyl chloride, which is a type of plastic. PVC gloves are frequently used in the food service industry because they are resistant to many chemicals and provide a good grip.
They are also relatively inexpensive. However, PVC gloves may cause skin irritation in some people and they are not as breathable as other types of gloves, so they can make your hands sweat.
Comparison of chemical-resistant gloves
There are many types of gloves available that offer varying levels of resistance to chemicals.
It is important to check the glove’s chemical resistance on the manufacturer’s Safety Data Sheet (SDS) before being exposed to certain chemicals. You must choose the right type of glove for the job to ensure your hands are properly protected.
There are three main types of chemical-resistant gloves: latex, nitrile, and neoprene. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages:
- Latex gloves are the most affordable option, but they are not as durable as nitrile or neoprene gloves. They also offer limited protection against some chemicals.
- Nitrile gloves are more expensive than latex gloves, but they are more durable and offer better protection against chemicals.
- Neoprene gloves are the most expensive option, but they offer the best protection against chemicals of all types of gloves.
There are many types of chemical-resistant gloves on the market, and each has its strengths and weaknesses. Make sure to only wear the right gloves for the tasks you will be doing.