Both face shields and safety glasses work well to protect the eyes and face from fluid splashes, flying debris, and impacts at work. But which one is best? Find out in this post.
Can you wear a face shield instead of safety glasses?
The answer depends on a variety of factors, including the type of work you do, the severity of the hazard, and the fit of the face shield.
Face shields are commonly used in environments where there is a risk of exposure to chemicals, flying objects, or other potential hazards. For example, construction workers may wear face shields when working with power tools or other dangerous equipment. Factory workers may wear face shields when handling chemicals or working in areas where there is a risk of explosions.
In general, face shields provide broader protection than safety glasses because they cover a larger area of your face and protect you from flying debris. However, they can be more difficult to wear for extended periods of time, don’t provide as much eye protection in many cases, and may fog up more easily than safety glasses.
The benefits of face shields over glasses
Face shields offer a number of advantages over safety glasses. First, they provide better protection against flying debris, sand, and other materials that can damage your eyes. Second, they prevent your eyes from coming into contact with contaminated surfaces. Third, they free up your hands so you can work more efficiently. Finally, face shields are more comfortable to wear and don’t fog up as easily as safety glasses.
The different types of face shields
There are three different types of face shields available on the market:
- The most common type is the full-face shield. This type of face shield covers your entire face, including your eyes, nose, and mouth. It is important to note that you will still need to wear safety glasses or goggles underneath a full face shield.
- The next type of face shield is the Partial Face Shield. As the name implies, this type of shield only covers a portion of your face. It usually covers your eyes and nose, but it leaves your mouth exposed.
- The final type of face shield is the Eyewear Face Shield. This type of shield attaches to a pair of safety glasses or goggles. It covers the entire front surface of the glasses or goggles, but it does not extend down to cover your nose and mouth.
Face shields are typically made of clear plastic and are attached to the head with a strap or band. They can also be made of other materials, such as metal or rubber.
How to choose the right face shield
When choosing a face shield, it is important to select one that provides adequate coverage for your specific needs. For example, if you are working with chemicals, you will need to choose a face shield that provides full coverage of the face, including the eyes, nose, and mouth. If you are working in an environment where there is a risk of flying objects, you will need to choose a face shield that offers side coverage as well as front coverage.
There are different types of face shields available on the market, but the most important thing to look for is one that is rated for impact resistance. Some face shields are also designed to protect against certain chemicals or other substances, so it’s important to choose one that is appropriate for the type of work you’ll be doing.
If you’re not sure which type of face shield is right for you, it’s a good idea to consult with your employer or safety manager. They will be able to help you choose the right type of shield for your job.
How to properly wear a face shield
Face shields provide an extra layer of protection against flying debris and other potential hazards, and can help protect your eyes and face from dangerous chemicals.
When wearing a face shield, it is important to:
- Choose the right size to shield for your face.
- Secure the shield so that it does not come loose during use.
- Replace the shield if it becomes damaged or fogged.
It is also important to ensure that the face shield you select fits properly. Face shields come in a variety of sizes, so it is important to try on different models before selecting one. Make sure that the face shield covers your entire face without being too loose or too tight. In addition, make sure that the straps or bands holding the face shield in place are comfortable and adjustable so that you can achieve a secure fit.
How to care for your face shield
Face shields are an important part of personal protective equipment (PPE). Wearing a face shield can help prevent the spread of germs and protect your eyes, nose, and mouth from splashes and sprays.
To ensure that your face shield is effective, it is important to clean and disinfect it regularly. Here are some other tips on how to care for your face shield:
- Wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer before handling your face shield.
- Remove your face shield carefully. Avoid touching the inside or outside of the shield. If you must touch the inside or outside of the shield, wash your hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer afterward.
- Wash the face shield with soap and water or alcohol-based disinfectant. Be sure to clean all surfaces, including the straps.
- Rinse the face shield with clean water.
- Dry the face shield with a clean towel or let it air dry.
- Store your face shield in a clean, dry place from direct sunlight.
Face shield or safety glasses?
Can you wear a face shield instead of safety glasses? The simple answer is yes, you can. A face shield provides the same basic protection as safety glasses, and in some cases may provide more protection. Face shields are also easier to wear and can be more comfortable for some people.
While safety glasses are designed to protect your eyes, they don’t do much to protect the rest of your face. A face shield provides full coverage of your face, which is important in protecting you from severe injuries. Face shields can also be worn over prescription glasses or safety glasses, providing an additional layer of protection.
If you have a choice, always consult with your supervisor or safety officer to determine which type of personal protective equipment (PPE) is best for you.
When used properly, face shields and safety glasses can provide a layer of protection against potential hazards at work. When selecting either for your needs, be sure to choose one that offers adequate coverage and a comfortable fit.
NEXT UP: What Is a Mesh Face Shield Used For?