Knee pads are an important part of any worker’s safety gear. But how do you know which ones are right for you? Here’s a quick guide to help you make the best choice.
Choosing Knee Pads
When you work in construction, landscaping, or any other occupation that involves a lot of kneeling, it’s important to choose the right knee pads to protect your joints and prevent pain. There are many different types of knee pads on the market, so it’s important to know the pros and cons of each before making a purchase. Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing knee pads for work:
- The type of material used: Knee pads are typically made from foam, gel, or plastic. Foam is the most common type of material used, as it offers good protection and is relatively inexpensive. Gel and plastic models are more expensive but offer better protection and comfort.
- The size and shape of the knee pad: Knee pads come in a variety of sizes and shapes. Choose a model that fits snugly around your knee without being too tight. You’ll also want to make sure that the knee pad doesn’t impede your range of motion.
- The level of padding: The amount of padding in a knee pad is typically expressed in millimeters (mm). The thicker the padding, the more protection it will offer. However, too much padding can make it difficult to move around freely. Choose a model with enough padding to protect your knees without sacrificing mobility.
What to look for in knee pads
When choosing knee pads for work, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind. First, consider the type of work you’ll be doing. If you’ll be spending a lot of time on your knees, you’ll want pads that are thick and offer a lot of cushioning. If you’ll only be kneeling occasionally, thinner pads may be sufficient. Next, think about the climate you’ll be working in.
If it’s hot and humid, you’ll want knee pads that are made of breathable material so your skin doesn’t get too sweaty. In cold weather, on the other hand, you’ll want pads that will help insulate your knees against the cold. Finally, consider the fit of the pads. You don’t want them to be so loose that they slip down your leg, but you also don’t want them to be so tight that they’re uncomfortable. Try them on before you buy them to make sure they’re a comfortable fit.
Different types of knee pads
Knee pads come in a variety of materials, sizes, and shapes. Different types of knee pads are designed for specific activities and provide different levels of protection, comfort, and durability. When choosing knee pads, it is important to consider the type of work you do and the level of protection you need. There are three main types of knee pads:
- Padded knee sleeves: These provide a layer of padding around your knee. They are suitable for light-duty work, such as gardening or cleaning.
- Foam knee pads: These have a thicker layer of foam padding that offers more protection for your knees. They are suitable for medium-duty work, such as carpentry or flooring installation.
- Hard-shell knee pads: These have a hard outer shell that protects your knees from sharp objects and high impacts. They are suitable for heavy-duty work, such as construction or demolition.
EVA foam knee pads are made from ethylene vinyl acetate, a soft, lightweight foam that conforms to your knee and is comfortable to wear for extended periods. These knee pads are typically used for activities that involve a lot of kneelings, such as flooring installation or gardening.
Hard-shell knee pads have a hard plastic outer shell that protects your knees from sharp objects and provides impact resistance. They are often used for activities such as construction work or mountain biking. Hard-shell knee pads can be uncomfortable to wear for extended periods, but they offer the highest level of protection.
How to choose the right size
Size is the most important factor to consider when choosing knee pads. You need to make sure that the pads will fit snugly around your knees without being too tight or too loose. The pads should also be comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
To find the right size, measure the circumference of your knee at its widest point and compare it to the size chart for the knee pads you are considering. If you are between sizes, it is better to choose the larger size so that you will be more comfortable. In general, larger people will need larger knee pads. If you’re unsure what size to get, try on different sizes at a store before making a purchase.
How to care for your knee pads
When using knee pads, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to care for them. In general, you should clean them after each use and store them in a cool, dry place.
Workers in many different industries need knee protection on the job, especially those who spend a lot of time kneeling or working on hard surfaces. Knee pads can help prevent pain and injuries, but there are a few things to consider before purchasing a pair. Once these are clarified, it should be easy to find a pair of knee pads that offer both comfort and protection on the job.
NEXT UP: Firefighter Knee Pad Requirements