This article will explore the materials that face shields are made from and how they can protect you from harmful substances. So, read on and learn more about the amazing face shield!
What materials are face shields made of?
Face shields are made from a variety of materials, including plastic, metal, and cloth. The most common type of face shield is made from clear plastic, such as polycarbonate, which is lightweight and can be easily cleaned.
Metal face shields are also available, but they are heavier and more difficult to clean. Cloth face shields are typically made from cotton or other breathable fabric and can be washed and reused.
To choose the right face shield for your needs, you will need to consider the environment in which you will be using it, as well as your budget.
Protection from different face shield materials
Here are some common materials for face shields:
- Polycarbonate (PC) – Medical, industrial, high and low-impact environments.
- Glycol Modified Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETG) – Medical, industrial, high and low-impact environments.
- Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) – Medical, industrial, high and low impact environments.
The vast majority of face shields are made from some combination of plastic, foam, and elastic. Plastic face shields are generally the most affordable option, but they can become foggy and are not always comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. Foam-based face shields tend to be more comfortable but can be more expensive.
The most important part of a face shield is the lens plate, so you want one that can remain clear and handle impacts without breaking or scratching.
If you need a face shield that is both durable and transparent, you may want to consider using Lexan polycarbonate. Lexan is more expensive than other materials but will last longer and resist scratching and UV damage better than other options.
Caring for your face shield depends on its material
Whether you are using it at work or at home, your face shield should be cleaned regularly. Here are some tips on how to care for your face shield:
- Clean your face shield before each use with soap and water or alcohol-based wipes.
- Avoid touching your face while wearing the face shield.
- If the face shield becomes foggy, clean it with soap and water or alcohol-based wipes.
- When you are not using the face shield, store it in a clean, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Do not share your face shield with others.
Face shields are made of a few select materials that make them strong and durable enough to handle contact with dangerous chemicals, particles, and flying debris.
NEXT UP: OSHA Face Shield Requirements